»

2.5.10

Can I get a woot woot for employment!

Guess who has a job?  You guessed right!  It's only a few hours a week...but it's a job.  My house-mate, Chris, is the executive chef at a hotel here in town and managed to get me a gig helping with the breakfast shift.  It's an early, early shift (5am!) but it pays $23 an hour; a rate I simply cannot pass up!  I have trained two days now and will be flying solo for the first time tomorrow.  Wish me luck!  Basically I take the brekky orders from the guests (there are only 22 rooms, so it's no massive prodiction) and make/deliver it to the rooms.  


Australian breakfast is weird.  It's heavily influenced by the Brits and half the items they have a choice to order I have no idea how to make.  For example, you can get spaghetti and toast  for brekky.  Or baked beans, bacon (which is different to US bacon), and toast.  Odd, hey?  Just like the brits they are also fans of cooked tomato in the morning.  Odd.

Another thing to note, most hotels are focused more on the restaurant aspect.  If you're looking for a place to eat in an unfamiliar town, you look for a hotel straight away.  Quite different than in the US.  There are a few places (like Holiday Inn) that are strictly meant for accommodation here, but not most.  The hotel I am working at, the Dalrymple, mainly houses groups of workers here in Townsville for construction or some other trade job.  The awkward part of my job falls in the delivery.  There are hatches on the side of the room wall that I open up (right into their room) and place their brekky tray on the table.  Some of them are sitting at the desk waiting while other are still lying in bed staring at you.  haha.  The lot that's in the hotel at the moment will be here for the next 3 months, so I suppose I better get used to it!  It was just a bit weird doing it for the first time....

Fingers crossed that it all goes smoothly tomorrow! 

0 comments: